Shooting Fill-um

A girl crosses the intersection at University and Metcalf on her way to class.  Scanned 35mm Tri-X 400.

"Ken-chan no take pictures of me, you gonna waste all your fillum" is what my grandmother alwasys says to me when a camera (film or digital) is pointed at her.

So lately I've been starting to shoot a lot more film.  Not entirely sure why I started to get interested, perhaps it's due to the fact that I'm doing an independent study for ART307 - Advanced Lighting and Large Format photography.

I had taken 10 rolls of tri-x and a Canon EOS A2 with me on a trip to Hong Kong, early December 2009.

Men sit next to a news stand in downtown Hong Kong Island. (Photo: Kent Nishimura)
Film...especially black and white hasa feel, and color tone to it that digital doesnt have.  For me, there's a certain mood that's created when you look at film grain.  There is a definite tonal quality that resonates visually.  Yes! That's right I said resonates (sound) visually (sight).  Furthermore the whole process from capture to development, to printing is just amazing. having compelte control over what you do, and how every smallest detail affects the image is really cool.

More scanned negatives after the break.


Photographer Austin Larson poses for a portrait in Studio 2. Scanned 4x5 TMAX400 Negative.
I've been fortunate enough to have access to cameras that come from a variety of different formats.  Large Format (4x5) Medium format (120) and standard 35mm. The Photo lab actually has a 8x10 camera that I want to try, but not at this time. I mean, I can barely handle one format...let alone four?
Robert Tang laughs after hearing a joke in the UH Photo Lab. Scanned 35mm Tri-X 400

Stanley "the Pickcha Fricka" Tomita walks into the UH Photo Lab on a monday afternoon. Scanned 35mm Tri-X 400.

Austin Larson makes a face as Justin asks him a question in the Photo Lab.

Brent Akana pauses for a moment as he ponders his response to a question. Scanned Tri-X 400

A man walks in a crosswalk near Kamehameha Shopping Center.  This image was made with a Olympus OM-1 and a 600mm Mirror Lens.

Brent Akana Pauses for a moment to take in the scene in his old house in Kalihi.

Geena surfs the internet at her boyfriend's home in Kalihi.

Color is next. hehehe. Gonna use some Ektar 100, Portra 160, 400, and Superia 400.

More soon // k

Comments

Anonymous said…
wow

kent

the pikcha fricka betta get moa pikcha

haha

stan is amazin g!

Popular Posts