Buh-Benny and the Mets...

Growing up, I played baseball between grades 3-4.  Not a long time, but a fun time.  I remember my father being into baseball.  It was him that really encouraged me to go out and play.  To make friends, and get more interested in the sport, and other sports.  Needless to say through high school I was out of shape and overweight, and the only extracurricular things i did was Band, Debate (9th grade) and Youth Symphony. 

But enough about me. This is actually about another Hawaii boy. The difference between myself and him is that he made it to the big time. His name? Benny Agbayani.

Benny Agbayani made his major league debut with the New York Mets on June 17, 1998, as part of an 8th inning double-switch where he defensively replaced center fielder Butch Huskey during a 5-4 loss to the Montreal Expos. Agbayani made his first start and picked up his first big league hit two days later. Leading off the bottom of the first inning by singling to second base off Florida Marlins pitcher Brian Meadows. But now, having retired from Professional Baseball, Benny is an educational assistant at Mililani High School.

So I got a call from the Daily News in New York asking if I was available for a freelance gig.

my reply?

SURE!

So I drove out to Mililani High School a Friday Afternoon...right after i bought an iPad! But thats another story for another time. I got there was taken to the class and waited for Benny to show up.

*RIIIINNNNGGGG*

the bell rang, and Benny hadn't shown up yet. The Vice Principal Andrea Moore sat next to me and joked about making sure that when Benny shows up I'd better make sure to make a picture and write in the caption that he was late for class.



So I spent the class time photographing Benny in his new element, working with the kids in the class.



Then I made a Portrait and had to run home to file...so i could finally play with my iPad.



It was fun! Getting to meet Benny was an amazing experience.

Comments

geewann said…
oh this is cool!! what actually happened to the original "people project" anyway if youre reading this get back to your paper!!

Popular Posts